This recipe is one of my go-to’s. I probably make this recipe a little too much, but its super quick and easy on the nights when I just don’t really feel like cooking, but still have a husband to feed!
I love my cast iron skillet, and most of my meals are cooked in/on it simply for the fact that I can use it both on the stove, and in the oven. For me cooking chicken was always a task due to the fact that it was so hard to get juicy meat. I found that cooking it on a skillet and finishing it in the oven not only gave me a nice char, but also a tender and moist piece of meat.
I first started messing around with a Korean chicken recipe due to my ever-growing obsession with Gochujang (or Korean Chili Paste). I was first introduced to this delicious little devil back before I had a baby and was able to afford my Blue Apron subscription. I was hooked the minute I tried it and from then on I only ordered on weeks that they used gochujang in their recipes. Now that I am home with a baby I decided to play, and after about 8 rounds of marinade experimentation I finely found one that was blog worthy.
First we make a marinade. For me its easier to use a Ziploc bag for marinating meats, but you can use any dish with sides as well.
Low Sodium Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Honey, Gochujang, Powdered Ginger (you can use fresh grated ginger, I just didn’t have any and the marinade came out just fine), 3 Cloves of Chopped Garlic, the Whites of a Sliced Green Onion or scallion, and Black Pepper. (See Recipe Section of post for measurements)
Once your marinade is made, set aside about 1/4C to use later as a finish for your dish!
Add 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, and let marinade for at least 1 hour. For tastier, and better results let chicken marinate for 3 hours in the fridge and 1 hour at room temp before cooking.
While the chicken is coming down to room temp – I like to serve my Korean chicken over Basmati Rice, so this is when I cook it.
When you are ready to start cooking the chicken, heat oil in cast iron pan until hot, add chicken breasts and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Finish in oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
Slice and serve over rice. Garnish with the leftover marinade, a sprinkle of sesame seeds, and the green part of the sliced green onion.
Skillet Korean Chicken
Super Easy and Delicious – Perfect for a weeknight meal
¼C Soy Sauce
2T Rice Vinegar
1 ½T Raw Honey
1 ½T Korean chili paste (Gochujang)
1 ½T Fresh or Powdered Ginger
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2T sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1T Sesame Seeds
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and Thinly slice green onion, separating the white part from the green part.
- In a Ziploc Bag or Pyrex Dish, add Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Honey, Gochujang, Ginger, Garlic, Black Pepper and white part of the sliced green onion. Set aside ¼ C of this marinade as we will use it later. Add Chicken and let marinade for at least 1hr (2-4 is best)
- Heat a cast iron skillet with a little oil, once skillet is hot cook chicken for 3 Minutes on each side
- Once both sides of breasts are browned, carefully put the whole skillet in the oven and finish for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve over Steamed Basmati Rice. Garnish with marinade drizzle, sesame seeds, and sliced green onion.